Saturday, December 5, 2015

The Eye of the Beholder



                    


                                              

A couple of weeks ago, I joined more than 150 other dancers to attend Robbie’s salsa event “Salsa Under the Stars”.  She booked an outdoors venue right on Lady Bird Lake in downtown Austin.  The moon shown on the water, gentle breezes rippled the lake, and a trio of D.J.s played a string of wonderful salsas.  In other words: a gorgeous evening. 

I sat with a salsera I call The Most Beautiful Woman in the World.  We danced several tunes, and when we returned to our front row table, I could see her empty wine glass, and that the beer fairy had finished my beer.  I asked her if she wanted another glass of wine. 

She said: “Yes, please.”

I asked: “What are you drinking?”

“A Spanish rioja”, she replied.

“Ok, I’ll be right back.”

So I went into the service area.  A young man of about 25 tended bar. 

“What would you like?” he asked me.

“The lady I’m with wants another glass of your Spanish rioja” I replied.

Holding up a bottle in each hand, he responded: “We have two.  Which one does she want?”

I considered him for a moment, then asked: 

“Which one did the Most Beautiful Woman in the World have?”

He instantly thrusts forward the one in his right hand, exclaiming: “This one!”

I returned the drinks to our table with a smile and a story.











No comments:

Post a Comment