Wednesday, May 5, 2010

I have boundaries, and I demand respect

We're at El Sol y Luna, on Sixth Street.  Ritmo Tres hasn't started to play yet.  I took the opportunity to chat with Dina.  

"So how's the divorce going?" I asked.  

"I'm exhausted" she said.  "We had the final hearing today.  My husband filed for divorce last November.  He insisted our marriage was dead.  I disagreed.  We had our first hearing before the judge in January.  The judge ordered us to work out suitable arrangements.  He said we were both adults, and should be able agree on support and child care and such.  My husband would not agree to my requirements.  I still love him, and do not want a divorce.  Still, I have boundaries, and I demand respect, and if he wants a divorce, so be it.  I just want the ability to take care of our two young children as well as we have done together in the past.  After all, the reason divorce is so expensive is because it's worth it.  Anyway, we went back  before the judge today.  The judge was visibly angry that we had not reached an agreement.  He demanded to know why not.  My husband began to rant "She this" and "She that".  When I became irritated and upset by his remarks, my lawyer whispered in my ear 'Just be quiet, he's hanging himself.' "  

After all, as Napoleon said in 1830, "Never interrupt your enemy when he's making a mistake".  

"When my husband finished his rant, the judge asked my lawyer if we had any comments", she continued. 

 "No, Your Honor," he said, "Just grant my clients petition, please."   

Bang! went the angry gavel.  "Wife's requests granted!  Next!"                

We laughed like fools, the music began, and we danced the night away.






No comments:

Post a Comment